According to reports by Daily Times, the APC has laid to rest speculations regarding the proposed running mate for Muhammadu Buhari with the imminent announcement of Prof. Yemi Osibajo as its candidate.
Announcements of Professor Yemi Osibajo as the running mate of General Muhammadu Buhari in the forthcoming elections would be a surprise as several people are largely unaware about his background.
Below are fifteen things you should know about the chosen man:
- He is a pastor at Olive Tree House of Prayer for All Nations in Banana Island, which is a Redeemed Christian Church of God Parish
- Professor Osinbajo is the Ethics Adviser to the Advisory Board of the African Development Bank
- He is also a director of Citibank (non-executive)
- He has served in various capacities in the United Nations.
- He is also a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN)
- He is Senior Partner in Simmons-Cooper Partners law firm.
- He is also a professor of law, and was HOD of Public Law at the University of Lagos (UNILAG) [1997-1999]
- Professor Osinajo has written and co-authored (and edited) several books and publications.
- He obtained his LLB degree at the University of Lagos and his LLM at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- He served as the Special Adviser to the Attorney General of Nigeria from 1988 to 1992.
- In 1999, he became the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice of Lagos state. He was reappointed for a second term in 2003.
- In this time, he began the Lagos State justice reform project, which featured the establishment of the Directorate for Citizen’s Rights (DCR) (which gave free legal services and legal representations to Lagos state’s less-privileged.)
- He lives in Lagos with his wife and three children.
- Some of his books and publications are: “The Unification and Reform of the Nigerian Criminal Law and Procedure Codes” ; “Law Development and Administration”; “The Annotated Civil Procedure rules of The Superior Courts in Nigeria”; and “Cross Examination: A Trial Lawyer’s Most Potent Weapon”.
- Professor Osinbajo is the co-founder and Board Member Convention on Business Integrity and the Justice Research Institute Ltd. In 2007, Prof. and his wife Oludolapo founded “The Orderly Society Trust”, a non-governmental organization that is dedicated to the promotion of Christian ethics and orderliness.