Boko Haram: Be Extra Vigilant During World Cup – Olukolade
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, on Monday admonished soccer-loving Nigerians and other members of the public who would be watching the matches at public viewing centres to be extra vigilant and report suspicious individuals to security agents as the World Cup starts in a few days from now.
He also confirmed that “a key” suspect has been arrested in connection with the car bombing, which occurred in Mubi, Adamawa State on Sunday night but was not categorical about the particular target of the attack. The military spokesperson said the suspect was apprehended with the help of community members who saw him alight from the car used for the attack shortly before it exploded.
In addition, five other suspected terrorists died in Mubi during an exchange of gunshots with troops who wanted to apprehend them during a cordon and search operation.
Olukolade said many others were arrested and have been helping security personnel in their investigations.
The efforts of troops and other security operatives also led to the foiling of several planned attacks on civilian targets in parts of the country in recent times as a result of heightened intelligence gathering.
The Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, on Monday assred that the main objective of the military and coalition efforts concerning the abducted Chibok secondary schoolgirls by terrorist group, Boko Haram, was to get back the girls alive and save them from the stranglehold of the terrorits. Olukolade therefore appealed to media practitioners and the general public to exercise restraint in the way they speculate and analyse the position of the girls.
Speaking at the regular briefing by the National Information Centre,at the headquarters of National Orientation Agency in Abuja, Olukolade, who led other members of the group, insisted:
On Sadiq Ogwuche, the co-mastermind of the Nyanya Motor Park bombing, who was said to have been arrested in Sudan, Police spokesman, Frank Mba, said a high ranking Interpol operative left Nigeria since last week for Sudan with all the necessary documents to secure his extradition. Mba said the authorities were very hopeful that the fugitive would soon be back in the country to face the law.