Papiss Cisse has accepted a Football Association charge of spitting at Manchester United defender Jonny Evans.
According to BBC, the striker, 29, faces a possible seven-game ban for his part in the incident, which happened during Manchester United’s -0 win at Newcastle on Wednesday.
Evans, 27, has yet to respond to the FA after being charged on Thursday.
However, he has denied deliberately spitting at Cisse.
Senegal international Cisse had earlier issued a statement apologising for his actions.
After the striker accepted the charge, Newcastle managing director Lee Charnley said: “Both ourselves and Papiss agree that this kind of behaviour is not acceptable.
“When you do something wrong you have to front up, admit your mistakes and accept the punishment.
“Papiss was proactive this morning in making a full and heartfelt apology, which he did in advance of any notification from the FA regarding this charge.
“This was something he felt strongly about and we fully support him in quickly accepting the charge.”
The FA charge read that “in or around the 38th minute of the game the two players spat at each other” and Cisse could receive a ban of up to six matches for the offence after admitting his part in the incident.
He would also have to miss an additional game, having already received a ban this season.
Charnley said Cisse recognised his importance as a role model to young fans and was eager to atone: “He is keen to carry out extra community activities on behalf of the club during his ban.”
Evans has until 18:00 GMT on Friday to respond to the FA charge.