Now that Sudan has beaten us out of AFCON, Keshi should resign – Chukwu
Following the harrowing defeat by Sudan on Saturday in Nigeria’s 0-1 loss in the African Nations Cup qualifier in Khartoum, former Super Eagles’ captain and chief coach, Christian Chukwu, has asked the team caretaker coach, Stephen Keshi, to resign honourably.
The African champions suffered a shock defeat to the East Africans in a match played at the Municipal Stadium in Khartoum, supersport.com reports. Forward, Bakeber Bakri scored the match winner in the 42nd minute to hand his side the three points.
Nigeria now sits at the base of Group A in the 2015 AFCON qualification on one point, Sudan moved to the third spot, while South Africa leads on seven points, followed by Congo on six points.
Shocked by Eagles’ unexpected defeat in the hands of the Sudanese, Chukwu said Keshi does not need to wait any longer but take the exit option.
“This is football for you, Keshi won the 2013 AFCON title and took us to the FIFA World Cup in Brazil and everyone was completely happy.
“Now that he has not done well so far in the qualifiers to the AFCON 2015 in Morocco, Nigerians definitely won’t be happy with him, “the former Green Eagles captain told supersport.com.
He added: “When Samson Siasia didn’t qualify Nigeria for the 2012 AFCON, he was fired, so Keshi knows what to expect from his employer with this painful defeat. “Keshi has no contract at the moment, so there is nothing anybody will lose, I think he knows exactly what to expect, though that decision is left with the Nigeria Football Federation.
“That’s how the coaching job is, ups and downs. At one point you’re a hero and at another time you become a villain.
“Though I didn’t watch the match, but defeat was the last thing I expected. I’m deeply shocked to learn that it’s over for us as far as Maroc 2015 AFCON is concerned.”
Source: The Nation