Test Confirms Methanol Poison Caused Ondo Deaths

0

gin-shots-300x161

Test result from the laboratory of the National Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) shows deaths of some individuals in Ode-Irele in Ondo State was caused by methanol poison.

According to the results of the test carried out in Lagos State, the local gin consumed by the individuals contained a high concentration of the poisonous substance.

The outcome of the test was disclosed by the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Dayo Adeyanju while briefing reporters in Akure, the Ondo State capital on the latest development on the cause of the strange ailment that broke out in the town last week.

Adeyanju told the reporters that the poisonous drink had killed 23 people so far while 10 others were still receiving treatment at the UCH, Ibadan and at the General Hospital in Ode-Irele.

The Commissioner, however, again orders that sale and consumption of local gin otherwise called “Ogogoro” has been banned in the entire State ‎until it is fully established that it does not contain methanol poison.

Traditionalists in the state had attributed the cause of death to desecration of a shrine by some individuals, a claim that triggered massive visit to the shrine by individuals with water and leaf in an attempt to appease the gods.

 

Source# Channels#

You might also like