From Sonny and Cher to Ike and Tina in America we love when famous artists
start dating. Even the rumor of two artists dating can keep a dinner party going well past dessert.
Record Companies and publicists discretely start the rumors but claim “no comment” when asked about a clients dating life. Agents and managers execute due diligence in making sure their clients meet one another in hopes of forming a wealthy power couple to take their clients to the next level while the rest of us drink the kool aid in the form of concert tickets, album sales, digital downloads, and the purchase of endorsed products. Behold, 2014′s top 8 power couples of Music according to Billboard and Forbes.
8. Alicia Keys & Swizz Beatz:Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz tied the knot in Corsica in July of 2010. Keys exploded onto the music scene in 2001 with her hit single “Fallen” from the album “Songs In Minor”. The album was a tremendous success selling over 12 million copies and awarding Keys 5 Grammy wins in one night.
Swizz Beatz crashed the hip hop scene in 1998 as a producer on the DMX multi-platinum album “It’s Dark and Hell is Hot”. The Album peaked at #1 on Billboards Top 200, as well as, Billboards Top R&B/Hip-Hop Charts. Since his work with DMX Beatz has worked with Mega-Stars such as Jay Z, Rick Ross, and Nicki Minaj to name a few.
The couple had a child together born October of 2010 and in July 2014 the couple announced on instagram they were expecting second child.
7. Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stefani: Gavin Rossdale is a British Musician and former lead singer of Alternative Rock Powerhouse Bush. Rossdale was the frontman for “Bush” from 1992 until 2002 when the band separated to work on individual projects and other endeavors.
Gwen Stefani is the former lead singer of the 1990′s multi-platinum California Rock Band “No Doubt”. The Band found huge commercial success with the 1995 album “Tragic Kingdom” which reached Diamond-Certification. In 2004, during a hiatus from No Doubt, Stefani released the album “Love. Angel. Music. Baby.”, which sold 7 millions albums worldwide.
By all accounts the couple is happily withstanding the test-of-time (especially by celebrity standards) Gavin Rossdale and Gwen Stafani married in 2002 after seven years of dating. The couple have 2 sons together Kingston James McGregor Rossdale born in 2005 and Zuma Nesta Rock Rossdale born in 2008.
6. Chad Kroeger and Avril Lavigne: Chad Kroeger is the Lead Vocalist of Canadian rockband “Nickelback”. Nickelback has sold over 50 million albums worldwide since their debut in 2001. Nickelback has sold the second most albums in the U.S. by a foreign band.
Avril Lavigne is a Canadian Pop-Rock Singer/Songwriter. At the age of 16 she signed a 2 album $2 million contract with Arista Records. Since her professional debut she has sold more than 30 million albums and over 50 million singles worldwide. According to Billboard, Avril Lavigne is the number 10 pop artist in the “Best of the 2000s” .chart
In July 2012 Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroeger started dating, in August 2013 they announced their engagement.
5.Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert: Blake Shelton is a 2 time Academy of Country Music Winner and a judge on NBC’s Hit Talent Series “The Voice”. He is also known for his role as a judge on the televised singing competitions “Nashville Star” and “Clash of the Choirs” He has 11 #1 singles. In 2005, Shelton met fellow country singer Miranda Lambert at the CMT’s 100 Greatest Duets Concert. Lambert was a finalist on the 2003 season of “Nashville Star” finishing in 3rd place.
As of April 6, 2014, Lambert has won five consecutive Academy of Country Music Female Vocalist of the Year awards and a Grammy for Best Female Country Vocal Performance. The couple announced their engagement in May of 2010 and married May of 2011 , at the Don Strange Ranch in Boerne, Texas.
4. Mariah Carey & Nick Cannon: Though their marriage has hit the rocks, Mariah and Nick was one powerful couple that people admired despite the age difference between the both of them. Mariah Carey is one of the top selling musical artists of all time. Carey is the best-selling artist of the 1990′s and the best-selling female artist of all time. Since her debut in 1989 she has sold a Certified 128.8 million albums. In 1995 Carey released a duet called “One Sweet Day” performed with the R&B group Boyz II Men. The single earned 5 Grammys and spent a record sixteen weeks at #1 on Billboard’s Hot 100.
Nick Cannon is the current host of NBC’s wildly successful talent series “America’s Got Talent” and the former host and star of MTV’s “Wild n Out”. Cannon is a former Nickelodeon star and current Chairman of TeenNick division of Nickelodeon where he is a creative consultant and works with developing talent.
Cannon has several other business ventures including Ncredible headphones, manufactured and distributed by Monster products. He also has a weekly syndicated radio countdown show called Cannon’s Countdown that is distributed by CBS Radio.
Carey and Cannon got married On April of 2008 at Careys private estate on Windermere Island in The Bahamas.
3. John Mayer & Katy Perry: John Mayer is a Grammy Award Winning singer, songwriter and producer. He has sold 15 million albums in the U.S. and 20 million albums worldwide. In 2006, Mayer was nominated for five Grammy Awards including Album of the Year. The John Mayer Trio also received a nomination for their album, Try! Mayer has won 7 Grammys throughout his career.
Katy Perry is singer songwriter that has sold over 5 millions albums. Perry holds the U.S. record for most digital downloads with 72 million singles downloaded. Katy Perry has also been dipping her feet into the Hollywood acting pool. Her filmography includes The Smurfs (2011), Katy Perry: Part of Me (2012), and The Smurfs 2 (2013).
2.Tim Mcgraw & Faith Hill: Tim McGraw is a top selling country singer and the winner of 3 Grammys,14 CMA’s. McGraw’s mainstream fame continued to rise with the 2004 crossover single “over and over” featuring multi-platinum hip hop artist Nelly. The single peaked at #3 on Billboards Hot 100 list. McGraw has released thirteen studio albums; Ten of his, 25 of his singles have reached number 1.
Faith Hill is a country singer songwriter with over 40 millions albums to her credit. She has won 3 grammy awards including Best Country Album of 2004. In the early 2000′s Faith Hill signed a multi-year deal with CoverGirl makeup. Hill has also released 2 fragrances solidifying her role in the world of beauty and products. In 2006 the couple began their Soul2Soul Tour which became the highest grossing country music tour of all time.
1. Jay Z & Beyonce: Jay Z and Beyoncé Knowles have graced the covers of every gossip and tabloid publication in the world. USA Today has referred to the couple as “Music PowerCouple”; Together they have a net worth of over $900 million.
The couple met in 2002 while making the duet “03 Bonnie & Clyde” from Jay Z’s seventh studio album “The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse”. According to People Magazine the couple married on April 4th, 2008.
Jay Z, born Shawn Carter, is one of the most successful hip hop artists of all time. He has sold over 17 million albums in his career and holds 19 Grammy Awards. He ranked #1 on MTV’s list of ‘The Greatest MC’s of All-Time’.
Beyoncé Knowles is the former lead vocalist of the all female R&B group Destiny’s Child. In 2003 Beyoncé released her first solo album “Dangerously in Love” which earned her 5 Grammy Awards and sold over 11 million copies worldwide according to Soundscan.
Billboard states she is the top radio songstress from the years 2000 – 2009 and has had 2 of the most successful U.S. concert tours in the past 20 years.
Mrs. Knowles-Carter was also named to “Time Magazines” 2014 most influential people in the world ahead of the likes of Pope Francis, Vladimir Putin, and Samsung CEO Oh-Hyun Kwon.